Skip to main content

About this Show

The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur

News/Business. (2013) (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Hagel 15, Steubenville 14, Chuck Hagel 10, Brennan 8, Uruguay 6, Israel 5, Louisiana 4, Vo 4, John Brennan 4, Us 4, Cayla 3, Nbc 3, Iraq 3, America 3, Washington 3, Edwin Edwards 3, Dennis 3, Stephanie Miller 2, Pittsburgh 2, Bill Press 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur    News/Business.   
   (2013)  (CC) (Stereo)  

    January 7, 2013
    8:00 - 9:00pm PST  

8:00pm
two men kissing but because it looks so awkward. >> jennifer: did they have to put out a statement saying this is clearly photo shopped. >> i think because they have such a track record of doing stuff like this that people are like this is benton. but i want to go take a shower after that. >> jennifer: all right. brett thank you for that. and we'll see you u back here tomorrow. >> cenk: welcome to "the young turks." we have a great and powerful show for you today. a thousand people have shown up in anonymous mask in ohio to protest the rape culture going on there. it was a powerful scene. >> another photo circulated by anonymous reportedly shows two of the accused men carrying the
8:01pm
alleged unconscience victim. >> i don't want that trash walking around. >> cenk: president obama nominate hagel and brennan today, the secretary of defense and c.i.a. i love the republicans pretending that they care about gay people in order to oppose hagel. and hagel they don't think he's strung enough on israel and iran and iraq. >> what do you believe? what are you able to support? what do you think? why are you elected if you want a safe job go sell shoes. >> cenk: we have four advisers. on the show tonight to talk about that, and then finally we have a fun and interesting story about the world's poorest president. he's from uruguay. >> i'm not a poor president.
8:02pm
>> cenk: i got to be honest with you, he's a poor president especially when it comes to monday. we'll explain. go time. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> chuck hagel for secretary of defense. >> chuck hagel will have a fight for confirmation. >> the leader our troops deserve. >> the most antagonistic, it is very difficult to imagine the circumstance in which i could support in confirmation. >> yes, he is a serious candidate. >> chuck haig settle not a responsible option. >> he has people going against him. >> john brennan for direct of the central intelligence agency. >> while i consider myself neither a republican or democrat democrat. >> brennan has a little bit of baggage to become c.i.a. >> i think the president likes the idea of an antagonistic
8:03pm
nomination. >> he chose petraeus because he resigned in the wake of the sex scandal into well, as you saw chuck hagel former republican senator from nebraska, nominated to be secretary of defense today by the president himself. let's watch. >> obama: chuck hagel is the leader that our troops deserve. he is an an american patriot. he volunteered for the army and vietnam. he represents the bipartisanship that we need more of in washington. for his independence and commitment to consensus he has earned the respect of national security and military leaders republicans and democrats including me. in the senate i came to admire his courage and judgment, his willingness to speak his mind even if it wasn't popular. >> cenk: get a load of that. he is a republican, but the people opposed to him are republicans. of course.
8:04pm
let's bring in michael shure or epics course correspondent. >> it is safer for a republican to support john kerry than one of their own for secretary of defense. >> cenk: what is wrong with that? >> so much is wrong with that. a lot of of it was that he was never well liked by republicans in the first place. a lot of it a big problem that chuck hagel is he's going in front of a lot of these guys who are saying to him. people were up in two years, 2014, who were saying we don't want to support chuck hagel. we don't want to be on the on the record of supporting someone who is anti-israel. here is chuck hagel and his
8:05pm
nomination. >> i have series concerns about positions senator hagel has taken on in a range of critical national security issues which we will fully consider in the course of his confirmation process before the senate armed services committee. let me understand this. here's the problem a, he was right about iraq. and, b he agrees with the president. do they want a guy who disagrees with the president obama and wasn't the iraq war through and through. >> what they say is right on iraq is different from what we say is right on iraq. chuck hagel was opposed to the surge. they think like the surge was winning world war three. we have sound of john mccain, but we do have martha ready dots talking about other people who are opposed to this. who you think would be opposed to this. here is march martha ready dots.
8:06pm
>> they called hagel an "in your face" pick. >> it is difficult to support this confirmation. >> it's a controversial choice. >> chuck haig settle not a responsible option. >> cenk: all right. this is about israel. >> their' hedging on whether they're going to support him because they said they're in favor of chuck hagel. this is not an anti-israel senate. >> this is a huge jewish lobby. but there was a great point made in the press. i think it was by fred kaplan of slate. he said, wait a minute. these are the same guys who say if you criticize israel, you're anti-semitic.
8:07pm
wait a minute. >> they're inferring something that just isn't there. another problem is a remark he made when james hormel was nominated to be an ambassador remarks he made about gay americans. this is more from martha raddatz raddatz. >> he made a comment about the ambassador to luxembourg calling him openly guy. then in 2002 he spoke out on the troops in iraq. >> the biggest blunder. >> and his comments about israel incensed many when he said lawmakers on capitol hill were intimidateed by the jewish lobby. >> it points to the anti-gay
8:08pm
comments. hagel said 14 years ago, i apologize what i said. barney frank had a problem and now barney frank lobbying to become the place holder senator in massachusetts trying to get duvall patrick's name on the senate seat. he said, i support him. here is an apology. >> cenk: it's a stupid thing he said. am i openly and aggressively straight. >> it's not a made up issue. >> cenk: no, because it's republican who is pretend to back mitt romney, mccain. they're being funded by the neo-cons to put the ads out there. it's an amazing story. >> 100%. >> cenk: let's go to brennan the president had an
8:09pm
announcement on him as well. >> obama: a 25-year veteran of the c.i.a. he knows what the job demands. policies with the facts strong analytic inflexion and keen understanding. he has a strong position on the history, the culture the politics, the economics the desire for human dignity drive something much in the changes of today's world. >> well, i've got a much bigger issue with john brennan as a nominee. i want to talk to one of the top security expert. zbigniew brzezinski former u.s. natural security adviser to jimmy carter, thank you for joining us first of all we
8:10pm
really appreciate it. >> glad to be with you cenk. >> cenk: now, i want to ask you about hagel first, we'll get to brennan second. on the issue of hagel what's the real beef that the republicans have with hagel? what is their real concern with him? >> i think he's very independent-minded, very independent, and i don't think they like that. secondly he broke ranks over the iraq war which he rightly described as a horrible error a massive strategic mistake and something that did not serve american interests. they didn't like that. >> cenk: something strange is going on here. we have republicans opposing a nominee who is a republican, who agreed with the president. who else would he agree with? >> i think ultimately a great many of them because ultimately most of them are sensible people are going to vote for
8:11pm
him. we have some people stepping into the fight and encouraging extremeist vile statements about hagel that he's anti-semitic, not supportive of israel, and i think some dislike by republicans. >> cenk: that's really interesting, too. these neo-cons are supposed to be discredited. the iraq war was a disaster. president obama won the issue of exchange and being opposed to the iraq war. why are we still having a conversation with these guys? why do they have so much power that hagel's nomination is in some doubt. >> well, look, we are a country of 300 million people. you have to allow in a country of 300 million people there are a few nuts. and some of them have access to the mass media. and some of them have a lot of money. that's all right.
8:12pm
that's normal, but we shouldn't take that too seriously. >> cenk: that's interesting, too. i'm curious about your time with the carter administration. when president carter put up nominees, was there this much push back? i don't know, that's why i'm asking you. when the republicans didn't agree with the nominee when it was a democratic president putting it forward was there this much conflict as well? >> there's always some push back but i don't think this is a massive negative reaction. there was probably less than because we're less polarized as a country. the fact is we are quite polarized as a country and there are extreme groups who have obsessive thoughts about about it. that's a fact of life. i wouldn't overestimate it.
8:13pm
>> i want to come back and talk a little bit more about hagel and how he might cut defense spending, and that might be a significant issue as well. i also want to talk about brennan because i'm curious what your opinion on him are. >> okay. >> cenk: terrific, so we'll take a quick break and con come [ ryon ] eating shrimp at red lobster is a fantastic experience. 30 shrimp for $11.99. i can't imagine anything better. you're getting a ton of shrimp and it tastes really good! [ male announcer ] hurry in to red lobster's 30 shrimp for just $11.99! choose any two of five savory shrimp selections like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. two delicious shrimp selections on one plate! all with salad and unlimited cheddar bay biscuits. 30 shrimp, just $11.99 for a limited time. wow, that's a lot of shrimp. i'm ryon stewart i'm the ultimate shrimp lover, and i sea food differently.
8:14pm
8:15pm
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> cenk: we're back on "the young turks," and we're talking about the nomination of chuck hagel for secretary of defense and john brennan as head of the c.i.a. those were both announced by president obama. now on to the top expert on national security. i want to ask you one more question about hagel before we move on to brennan. he has talked about cutting defense spending to a reasonable level. i feel there is some chance he could do it better than a democrat like panetta could.
8:16pm
it seems to me that the democrats have to constantly have to prove what tough guys they are whereas a republican like hagel might be freeing to say these are reasonable cuts that we can make. is there some validity to that? >> i think there is a hell of a lot of validity to that. and he can say i have been in a war. i know how much war costs and i know how money is wasted in the course of a war. he can make a strong pitch that we really do not need in the budget a large defense as the rest of the world. this is extreme. most americans do not know. america has an as much money spent on defense as all the other countries in the world combined.
8:17pm
that is not necessary. >> cenk: that is an amazing fact. do we have any idea if the defense contractors behind the scenes are opposed to hagel? >> well, i don't know. maybe some of them are funding the crazy ads that are anti- anti-israel and anti-gay. they're mean-minded and they are ultimately an american. >> cenk: strong words. i love it. let's move on to john brennan he is now the new nominee for the c.i.a. he has made pro torture arguments in the past, and let me read you one thing he said on torture, mind you it's back in 2007. there have been a lot of information coming out of the procedures that the agency has in fact, used against the real hardcore terrorists. it has saved lives and let's not
8:18pm
these are hardened terrorists who were involved in 911 9/11 and showed no remorse. hehe was opposed in 2009 that he know longer is opposed. what are your thoughts on that. >> i think his views have evolved. probably have mine as well. shortly after before 9/11 i would not have approved of torture. i gatherwe tend to think torture is productive and i gather in some cases it is, but i guess the use of mind-changing drugs that soften up people and pre- keep them unable to lie consistently and
8:19pm
effectively. it's horrible. but in extreme circumstances let's say the life of your family, the lives of your kids wives, and you had a moment which to make a decision to use violence against someone to obtain facts that are relevant. you might be attempted to do that as well. we are people but at the same time it's an ugly business, a necessary business anti-terrorism. >> cenk: i hope our government is run by the rule of law and not by emotional decisions. i disagree with that a little bit yes after 9/11 he was emotionally moved as we all were but he made these statements in 2007 . >> you a perfectly fair point. i'm not disputing point. from a moral point of view it is repugnant but human nature is what it is, and there are extreme circumstances and i
8:20pm
think it would have to be ultimately touching on fundamental issues of life and death of a lot of people before a judgment could be made that perhaps in one instance the use of force, which is what torture is is necessary. i'm not defending it. >> cenk: i understand your position. i want to go back to something that you said earlier. did you say we're now using mind-altering drugs on detainee. >> no, i think there are such drugs that soften people up that make them less consistent and less rational. i would think if it exists it would be appropriate to use them. >> cenk: that's interesting. i talked to governor jesse ventura, and he believes that we are using them as well. >> no, i have no information to the effect that we have them and use them. but i think it would be more palatable than the horrible use of torture. >> cenk: before i get to the signature strike issue, do you support the nomination?
8:21pm
>> from what i know about it, and from what i know about his performance in recent years since he has been in the white house, i do approve of it. i think team is a really serious professional team, and it's coming in as influential as a trio at a time when the united states is endangered by increasing turmoil in a huge swath of the world from north korea all the way to mali and niger. and i think we're going to be facing it this year and next year really serious security problems. i think a professional tough-minded team probably is a very good choice. >> cenk: on hagel i agree with you but i have hesitation on brennan. you see brennan who is so morally conflicted, i don't know if we should or shouldn't but
8:22pm
he always says press the button. on signature strike we're killing people when we have no idea who they are based on the signature of their activities. to me progressives should be a little bit more unfortunate about that, but it doesn't seem like there is vehement opposition because the president is supporting it. does that trouble you? >> i don't know enough about it, and i'm not trying to evade your question. but my sense is--selectable targets which a high probability of collateral damage. there are some experts on the team of the decision making process so that this kind of an issue is quickly vetted with some resolve and re restraint
8:23pm
imposed. the anti-terrorist people should not have the ability to decide who should be killed and who should not be killed. >> cenk: doctor, thank you so much for for coming on "the young turks"." >> very excellent questions and troubling ones. >> cenk: in steubenville ohio the protest of the rape culture going on there. they came in anonymous mass. we'll talk to one of the protesters when we come back. 12,347 a sea of masks from steubenville all rallied in the chill of peppermint. the rich dark chocolate. york peppermint pattie
8:24pm
get the sensation. [ voice of dennis ] allstate. with accident forgiveness, they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. [ voice of dennis ] indeed. are you in good hands? [ lisa ] my name's lisa, and chantix helped me quit. i honestly loved smoking and i honestly didn't think i would ever quit. [ male announcer ] along with support chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke.
8:25pm
it put me at ease that you could smoke on the first week. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood hostility, agitation depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. with chantix and with the support system it worked. it worked for me. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. [ protesting ]
8:26pm
>> a sea of masks joined by those from and nearby steubenville all rallied in support of the 16-year-old virginiawestvirginia victim and asking for the high school coach to be removed in what many people claim is a cover up of athletes. >> cenk: and then of course in india we have a similar issue. they're also outraged of rape of a woman and five men are accused. they haveshe has now passed away so they're being tried on murder. and some of them unfortunately the protesters i feel tremendous empathy for, but some of them say that they should not have lawyers. i would not go in that direction. i'm absolutely amazed that a thousand protesters showed up in the middle of ohio. you don't under how hard it is to get a thousand protesters anywhere. but anonymous in steubenville. if you haven't heard of story
8:27pm
it's an amazing one. >> this alleged rape happened in august of 2012 and no one was really talking about it until anonymous got involved and shed light on this situation. the reason why anonymous did so was because it turns out that officials in steubenville, ohio, were trying to brush the situation under the rug. there were numerous individuals involved in this alleged rape, and only two of the football players of the steubenville football team are being charged. others are being charged as juveniles as opposed to adults. however, anonymous has gotten involved, and they want to bring awareness to all the other individuals involved in this case, one is michael who recorded a 12-minute video bragging about the rape of this 16-year-old girl. >> cenk: we've shown that before but only the two football players are being
8:28pm
charged. >> correct. >> cenk: the guy who was videoed for 12 minutes admitted. >> yes they're using un unconventional evidence like hacking to bring for a the evidence. but it is to bring justice to the girl who was raped. protesters gathered outside of jefferson county courthouse. now city officials are trying to fight back with a website known as steubenville facts where they're trying to stand up for the football players. let's listen to one city official make her case. >> from the attorney general's office are not from the city of steubenville. nor are they from jefferson county. the bureau of criminal investigation agents are not from the city of steubenville. and just to let you know, many
8:29pm
outsiders think that big red football runs the town. just as some facts many of the steubenville city officers graduated from somewhere else. >> that is quite possibly the dumbest argument that i've ever heard in my life. just because you didn't go to high school in steubenville does not mean that you have bias. really the reality is it's a small town that has one thing going for it, and it's the football team. and it experiences steep economic decline and it is their escapeism watching those football teams. it's like their pride. >> cenk: i think you're too harsh on her. it's like saying that the proper cuters areprosecutors are not from that town. >> one of the proper prosecutors had
8:30pm
ties to the fable team. there are some issues from this trial coming out. >> cenk: an interesting article called "steubenville rape case: does america have an unadmitted rape problem. kayla, let me start with you. so you're from pittsburgh. you went all the way to steubenville. why did you make this extraordinary effort. >> yeah, i'm from pittsburgh, pennsylvania, and i drove all the way to steubenville with me and my friend. we went there. this case really hit home for me. the fact that all of this evidence was not brought up, and the right people are not being charged. there are only two charged when there are multiple involved, it turned my stomach and made me sick. i wanted to go there to show her that she's not alone and she has
8:31pm
supporters all over the country that support her. it's touching and heartbreaking that this is happening so close to home. >> cayla, i have a question for you, just playing devil's advocate, why don't you allow justice to take it's course. the case is supposed to start in early february. what is your response to critics that are saying that anonymous is jumping the gun here? >> i don't think they're jumping the gun at all. if they wouldn't have gotten involved, i honestly think that so much evidence that should be in this case would not have been brought in front. it would have been swept under the rug. no one would have heard about it. no one would have seen the video. she wouldn't have got the trial she deserves. there is a lot of rumors. you don't know exactly what is true. but just the stuff that anonymous has dug up and brought forward that helped her get the justice she deserves.
8:32pm
with the petition, the video being brought up, the tweets, the facebook, they're doing awesome with this, and i greatly appreciate them. i honestly, like, i give them a lot of credit. i think it's great what they're doing. >> cenk: cayla, i notice you don't have a mask. does that mean you're not officially part of the anonymous. >> i do own a mask, but i'm not wearing it. when i went to the protest i did wear the mask. i wore it off and on. i spoke at the protest and i wore a mask myself. but i'm not a specific member as in-- >> cenk: you didn't do-- >> i didn't help organize. >> cenk: i got you. andrea you write about the culture rape. is that too strong of a language. especially in steubenville, so we have a rape case. we're trying the rape case. should more people be charged but to say that it's a culture rape goes too far, they would
8:33pm
say. what do you say about that. >> it's an argument that has been said for a long time. what is rape culture and americans don't condone rape, but then every single day when a new rape case comes out, "the new york times" says that an 11-year-old girl lured men into her web. it's impossible to think that there isn't a rape culture. it's in the victim-blaming, the over-sexualization of women the abuse of women like in books like "50 shades of gray." that's what rape culture is. >> cenk: i think you went to far. i got it for my wife, and she laughed and enjoyed what a silly book it was but it doesn't going to the culture of rape. >> no, it's a terrible book that promotes the idea of abuse that should be romanceized.
8:34pm
>> okay, agree to disagree. >> okay. >> cenk: a man slept with a woman without her knowledge or consent while she was sleeping, but because she was unmarried they said it's not rape. that can't be true. what happened there. >> it was an old law from 1872 that was still on the books and the defense brought it up in the appeals. justices said while they were disappointed that they had to go by this particular letter of the law they were bound by it, and so had the woman been married it would have been rape. but because she wasn't, it doesn't recognize it as rape. to me that plays into the idea that there is a rape culture and the fact that it does exist. >> cenk: yeah, that's an amazing story. cayla, one last question for you, what is it that you want to getget out of these protests? if x happened, you would be
8:35pm
happy and you would say good, that's just? >> what i want to get out of this is i want more people to be aware that this is going on not only in steubenville, but i'm sure it's going on in multiple towns where just evidence of crimes is being swept under the rug. and i want jane doe that's what we're calling her that she gets the justice she deserves. she'll get the trial that this deserves. it won't be swept under the rug or anything. i want her to get justice and make sure that her trial is fair. it should be--this trial should be also fair to the alleged rapists, also. just a fair trial all around, but i definitely want to see justice. there is so much evidence that points that this happened that she has to win. >> cenk: of course when you say the trial she deserves, you mean
8:36pm
the trial of the defendants and she would get justice. we'll see if they charge the baseball player, and we never would have known about the baseball player without the hacking of anonymous. you fight with the weapons you have right. >> right. >> cenk: we'll see how it all plays out. cayla and andrea very interesting conversation. thank you for joining us. >> thanks for having me. >> thank you. >> when. >> cenk: when we come back, nbc and ms nbc doing a tremendous story on the tax breaks from fiscal cliff. an incredible story and you want to see the details. >> the well-connected take most of the advantage of all the deductions and all the give aways and the tax
8:37pm
>> i think it's brilliant. (vo) first, news and analysis with a washington perspective from an emmy winning insider. >> i know this stuff, and i love it. (vo) followed by humor and politics with a west coast edge. bill press and stephanie miller. >> what a way to start the day.
8:38pm
♪ ♪ the trucks are going farther. the 2013 ram 1500 with best-in-class fuel economy. engineered to move heaven and earth. guts. glory. ram. the new ram 1500. motor trend's 2013 truck of the year.
8:39pm
but when joint pain and stiffness from psoriatic arthritis hit even the smallest things became difficult. i finally understood what serious joint pain is like. i talked to my rheumatologist and he prescribed enbrel. enbrel can help relieve pain, stiffness, and stop joint damage. because enbrel, etanercept suppresses your immune system, it may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections tuberculosis lymphoma, other cancers, and nervous system and blood disorders have occurred. before starting enbrel your doctor should test you for tuberculosis
8:40pm
and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores have had hepatitis b have been treated for heart failure, or if, while on enbrel, you experience persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. [ phil ] get back to the things that matter most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists. >> cenk: all right, we're back on "the young turks." we were talking about the fiscal cliff deal and giving a perspective you're probably not seeing it elsewhere although you are seeing it on nbc and ms nbc, because of michael isakoff. said there are so many corporate tax breaks that end up being more, let me show you a graph.
8:41pm
tim cartney put this graphic together. we took away $68 billion in tax cuts and gave $62 billion in tax increases so that it actually added to the deficit. it's insanity. now i'll give you chuck todd talking about the piece on ms nbc. >> the offshore financing tax break. majority leader trent lott and senator bro were paid $1.5 million from citigroup. a lobbying firm was paid $560,000 and another $350,000 to lobby for a wind energy tax credit. possibly the biggest player here was capital tax partners, capital one and goldman sachs
8:42pm
among the big banks that paid the firm $2.2 million, and another $700,000 to keep the tax depreciation down low. and another $490,000 from movie producers. >> cenk: now all the turks are here, but if you don't watch the show none of them are turkish. this is bribery. they paid $2.2 billion and get $11 billion back in one of the cases. am i seeing this wrong or this is obviously legalized bribery. >> yeah, definitely, but how is it different from what we see over and over again. >> what is different these are all for industries that will create jobs. without these tax breaks the jobs wouldn't be available. that's the argument being made. in some cases that's true, but in rare cases is that true.
8:43pm
>> cenk: corporations made the same argument in 2004 when they wanted a repatriatation tax holiday. they wanted to bring in their profits from overseas. after their brought in their profits that were taxed at 5% rather than 35% they cut jobs in america. wow, i didn't see that coming. >> we're supposed to pay more attention to this, and as was said this has happened so many times. how does this translate into something finally doing something about it. american people, oh, jobs are being created. every time we give our money away to someone else, when do we realize that it's not happening to get into american households to see how it changes. >> cenk: you're 100% right about that. i'm giving credit to ms nbc for covering this story because this is how we get to this information, and people knowing about it. but whenever they talk about oh we need the jobs, the job
8:44pm
creators and so we need the taxes. why don't we give the tax cut to regular folks? for example they took away the payroll tax. i don't agree with the payroll tax cuts because i'm worried about social security and i'm worried about social security. they didn't talk about job creation when they took that away and it affects all of us. >> when you see the people who are ringing rum here, rum importers, they're getting the tax breaks. when you look at the motion picture industry which does not bring a lot of sympathy because there is a lot of money in there. but these tax breaks do allow them to shoot movies in states. >> cenk: there is some point to that because they could go to canada. but this is a massively profitable industry. >> i'm not defending it. i was going to show the other side which is exactly what you said. there is always another side to
8:45pm
that story. these are tax breaks for those who seek tax breaks and have the savvy to put money behind it. you see those who were employed to get them the tax breaks with the lobbying, that's how to works. >> cenk: just really quick so you all get an understanding the motion picture association put in $500,000. they got back $150 million. i don't know why we're not buying senators in congress. it's a great investment. politicians who turned lobbyists evan bayh. bob bennet of utah. byron degan of indiana. and kit bond, bar stupak and earl pomeroy and you notice it's
8:46pm
a really bipartisan list. >> when you say it's a bipartisan list there are only three republicans on that list but these are people who became eligible to lobby their former colleagues because they lost or retired in 2010. in 2010 more democrats lost so it stands to figure that more democrats would be on this list. >> cenk: coming back next segment we have an interesting story about a man who served eight years in prison. who did he marry? a 35-year-old. they're making a reality show out of it. then the president of uruguay. you're going to be amazed at how little money he makes and where he lives. >> no person can honestly tell me that i have the liberal to hurt him or her. >> every time i think i can't be amazed more,
8:47pm
8:48pm
8:49pm
8:50pm
>> cenk: we're back on "the young turks." i love this next story. they're going to do a reality show called "the governor's wife." who is the governor? edwin edwards four terms as louisiana's governor and spent eight years in federal prison for corruption. that's in the old days when we put politicians away for corruption. he's 85 years old marries this woman who is in her 30s and then they decided to a reality show about it. >> federal prison and home detention behind him now former louisiana governor edwin edwards first public appearance with his fiancé at his side. edwards took his first steps towards a new life. >> enjoying my new life with my next wife. >> every time i think i can't be amazed more, he proves me wrong. >> cenk: i'm amazed by you.
8:51pm
that's unbelievable. do you know that edwards has two daughters who are--one is 62 years old and another is a 60-year-old ex-show girl. they're going to have a new mom that is literally half their age. >> you would almost be unseemly if he was dating someone his daughter's age. >> cenk: he's dating someone like his granddaughter's age. >> yes. >> cenk: but he's in prison and they start a pen pal relationship. what is wrong with her? is she a gold digger? >> what do you mean what is wrong with her. >> cenk: do you think she's crazy. >> i don't think she's crazy. i think she knows what she's doing. she's looking for a certain type of lifestyle and that's exactly what she's getting. >> cenk: and he got put away for corruption and he still has that lifestyle. >> edwin edwards was a bigger than life figure in laws louisiana. he was elected over an over.
8:52pm
>> cenk: is it unacceptable for me to like him? he's a corrupt politician but comes out of prison at 85 and says what now. >> it's an louisiana asterisk you can like him. >> what is the reason for watching this show, but michael and cenk you've given reasons why you might want to watch. >> i definitely will be watching. >> i absolutely will not be watching. >> cenk: oh really? speaking of which michael, you have the next story. >> it's an amazing story. the president of uruguay as we were debating what to call the country before the segment. the president of uruguay mr. mujica. pepe mujica is what he's known as over there. he is president of a forward- forward-thinking country. he fought the government, 14 years in solitary confinement in prison. when asked if they killed
8:53pm
anybody, he said there were unfortunate things that happened. 'sflower farmer by trade. he still lives in his house. hee schewed the home that the president would live in to live in his home. his net worth is $1,800. >> cenk: his net worth is $1,800? can you imagine. >> he gives 90% of his salary away to the poor, to housing programs to the pore. >> i think we have a bbc report on him. >> mr. mujica is a handyman about the house. he's not a man who enjoys a life of luxury, but he's also the president of uruguay and has been dubbed by the international media as the poorest president in the world.
8:54pm
>> this is the house of the president of uruguay. he says he owns just two vehicles. small amount of property, and his farmhouse. he also donates 90% of the salary, $12,000 a month to charity. >> he is pro legalization of marijuana, pro abortion and blow gay marriage. he's progressive in a country that is conservative. >> cenk: and would you want your president to live like that? really? definitely, that would be awesome. all our guys are mega millionaires. gee, i wonder how they got that money. >> not all of them are. truman carter and even obama before he wrote his book. >> cenk: obama is a multimillionaire now right.
8:55pm
when we come back we'll end [ voice of dennis ] ...safe driving bonus check? every six months without an accident, allstate sends a check. ok. [ voice of dennis ] silence. are you in good hands? um, hello. these ugly stains are ruining my good looks and style. and good luck using that cleaner. excuse me, miss ? he's right. those are tough hard water stains, and that cleaner's not gonna cut it. truth is, 85% of us have hard water and many don't even know it. you need lime-a-way. lime-a-way is specially formulated to conquer hard water stains. it's 4 times more effective at removing lime scale than the leading bathroom cleaner. see the lime-a-way difference or your money back. rich, chewy caramel rolled up in smooth milk chocolate. don't forget about that payroll meeting. rolo.get your smooth on. also in minis.
8:56pm
8:57pm
>> i think it's brilliant. (vo) first, news and analysis with a washington perspective from an emmy winning insider. >> i know this stuff, and i love it. (vo) followed by humor and politics with a west coast edge. bill press and stephanie miller. >> what a way to start the day. >> cenk: you might have noticed there are changes in the network. and by the way those who are watching and stayed with us, we appreciate t and we love you for it. keep watching, and we'll bring you great stories coming forward. the reason coming up, "viewpoint" hosted by john fugelsang. john is a terrific host. we did all the convention
8:58pm
8:59pm

Terms of Use (31 Dec 2014)